Talk to Us

We're here for you

Whether you need make a claim or to ask a question we're only a phone call away.

For claims

Call13 24 80

24 hours, 7 days a week

For general enquiries

Call13 24 81

Personal Insurance
8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Business Insurance
8:00am to 8:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

While overseas

Call +61 3 9601 8222

Need your current policy documents?

Request business documents Request personal documents

Trades insurance

Whether you're a carpenter, electrician, painter, plumber or other tradie, CGU's trades insurance can protect your business. Choose your cover online in just a few easy steps.

Speak to us on 13 24 81

Save up to $100 when you buy small business insurance online*. *Conditions apply

Cover designed for tradies

CGU’s trades insurance provides insurance protection tailored to the needs of tradies. Whether you’re a plumber, electrician or landscape gardener, our trades insurance offers flexible cover for your business. Our trades insurance offers you the flexibility to tailor your package by choosing from three levels of public liability insurance, flexible tool cover and commercial vehicle insurance as options.

CGU trades insurance can cover you for: 

  • Public liability

    Protect your business against claims for damage or injury caused to an individual or their property as a result of your work.

  • Commercial vehicle

    Add commercial vehicle cover to your trades insurance package, and cover your work vehicle and trailer.

  • Personal accident and illness

    Covers you for loss of income if you are unable to work because of an accident or illness. 

  • Tool and portable equipment cover

    Without your tools, you can’t work – if your tools are stolen, damaged or lost tool cover ensures you can replace them and get back to work ASAP.

  • Pay monthly

    You can pay monthly at no extra cost to help your business manage cash flow.

  • This is a summary only, for the full details of what is and is not covered, please read the Business Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

Get a trades insurance quote

Want a quick quote right away? You can get a quote and buy your business insurance online in under 3 minutes. Need help choosing the right insurance? Our CGU business insurance specialists can help answer your questions, or help you find an insurance broker if you need more help.

Trades insurance FAQs

  • What is public liability insurance?

    Public liability insurance protects your business against claims resulting from accidents or injuries that occur as result of your business activities, as well as damage to property owned or controlled by someone else.

  • Why do tradies need public liability insurance?

    Public liability can be one of the most common, yet costly claims for tradies. 

    No matter how cautious or experienced you are, accidents happen.

    If damage or an accident occurs as a result of your work, the impacted third party may be able to make a claim against your business, which can result in costly legal fees as well as the obligation to pay for the damage or injury you may have caused.

    Public liability insurance is your best defence against potentially costly personal injury or property damage claims, and given the nature of trades work is an essential cover.

  • What does public liability insurance cover me for?

    CGU public liability insurance covers your business for:

    • Legal costs incurred in the defence or settlement of a claim
    • Cover for others that may be acting on behalf of your business when the incident occurred
    • Loss or damage of goods – which are in your care custody or control which you do not own
    • Loss or damage of someone else’s property that occurs while performing your service
    • First aid expenses at the time of an incident
    • Injury to others who sustain injury whilst visiting your premises

    For more information about what is and isn't covered, please read the Business Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

  • How much public liability insurance do I need?

    Every business is different, and there is no ‘one size fits all’ rule for how much public liability insurance your business needs.

    Sometimes the amount of public liability insurance you need will be dictated by the contracts you work on – for example, some corporate and government contracts will stipulate a minimum amount of public liability.

    In some states, your trades association (eg for plumbers or electricians) may require you to have public liability insurance in as part of obtaining and renewing your contractors licence.

    CGU offer three levels of public liability cover which can be purchased from us directly:

    • $5 million
    • $10 million
    • $20 million

    Public liability claims can be very costly, so it’s important you choose a level of cover that will financially protect your business should you need to make a claim.  Most tradies opt for a higher level of public liability coverage, due to the nature of their work. 

  • What sorts of claims are covered by public liability insurance?

    Some examples of claims that might be covered under your public liability policy would be:

    • You are working at a customer’s house and your ladder slips and accidentally breaks a window
    • You install a faulty tap, which later leads to a customer’s bathroom flooding and damaging their floor
    • You accentually damage a neighbour’s fence and driveway with your earthmoving equipment
    • You built a retaining wall incorrectly, which led to the wall collapsing and injuring a bystander 

    For more information about what is and isn't covered, please read the Business Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

  • What is tool and portable equipment cover?

    This cover is specifically added to our trades insurance package because we know how important your tools are to your work.  Your power tools can be worth thousands, and unfortunately small hand held tools are frequently the targets of thieves. If your tools were damaged or stolen, you’d be unable to work until you replaced them.  By insuring your tools, you’ll have peace of mind that if something happens to them you’ll be able to replace them quickly and get back to work.

    For more information about this cover, read the Business Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

  • What is personal accident and illness cover?

    Personal accident and illness insurance helps you cover your costs if you are unable to work due to injury or illness. As a tradie, your work is likely physically demanding and riskier than some other professions. Personal accident and illness cover ensures you are financially protected if you’re not able to work due to an accident or illness.

    For more information about this cover, read the Business Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

  • What is the difference between personal accident and illness cover and income protection cover?

    Personal accident and illness can cover you if you are self-employed, and it provides short to medium term cover (maximum 104 weeks) if you are unable to work because of injury or illness. 

    Income protection can cover anyone (self-employed, home-makers, part time workers, full time employees, etc) and is intended to be a long-term cover. 

    For more information about this cover, read the Business Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

  • Why do I need to tell you what my business turnover is?

    We use turnover to gauge the size of your business and make sure our products can provide your business with adequate coverage – it does not influence pricing.  

  • What is a certificate of currency and why do I need one?

    A Certificate of Currency is a document that proves you have insurance cover. Your insurer can issue you a certificate of currency to show that your insurance cover is current, and outlines the type of insurance cover you hold.

    A contractor might request to see your certificate of currency to make sure you have adequate public liability cover to work on a particular job site.

    If you are a current CGU customer and need a certificate of currency, please use our Certificate of Currency request form.

Understanding public liability

Public liability explained

Wondering what's covered under Public Liability insurance?  Find out on the CGU Blog

We help tradies see it through

  • Trusted by thousands of businesses

    CGU is a leading business insurer, providing cover for more than 100,000 businesses and over one million motor vehicles.
  • Experience counts

    With 160 years of insurance experience behind us, you can trust CGU to help you out when you need it most.
  • Support through claims

    It’s easy to make a claim with CGU. Get started any time of the day or night. We'll help you through the process and get you back in business quickly.
  • Pay by the month for no extra cost

    Prefer paying your insurance in monthly installments? Set up direct debit with us and pay by the month at no additional cost.