Talk to Us

We're here for you

Whether you need make a claim or to ask a question we're only a phone call away.

For claims

Call13 24 80

24 hours, 7 days a week

For general enquiries

Call13 24 81

Personal Insurance
8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Business Insurance
8:00am to 8:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Web Chat

Web chat

8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

While overseas

Call +61 3 9601 8222

Need your current policy documents?

Request business documents Request personal documents

Landlord Insurance

We’re not offering cover for rent default and theft by a tenant on new policies right now, so you can’t add it as an optional extra. If you already have a Landlord Insurance policy which includes this optional extra, there will be no change to this cover.
If you already have a policy and you're not receiving the full amount of rent from your tenants because of the coronavirus pandemic, call us anytime, 24/7 on 13 24 80 to find out how we might be able to help.

Protect your investment property with our broad cover

CGU’s Landlords Residential Property Insurance gives you broad protection and peace of mind for your investment property. Whether your property is damaged by tenants, destroyed by fire, or if you’re owed rent or are liable for medical bills, we can look after you.

  • Accidental breakage

    Accidental breakage of fixed glass, basins, sinks, baths and toilets included in loss or damage by a tenant or their visitors.

  • Water or liquid damage

    We will cover your buildings or contents for loss or damage caused by water or liquid.

  • Vandalism or malicious acts

    Deliberate or intentional acts, vandalism or a malicious act by your tenants or their visitors.

  • Damage caused by your tenant's pets

    Up to $2,500 cover per claim for accidental damage or loss caused by your tenant’s pet

  • Removal of debris and demolishing costs

    Paid in addition to the sum insured (Up to 10% of sum insured)

  • Burning out of an electric motor

    For motors up to 15 years old and no bigger than 3.7kW (5hp)

  • Rebuilding fees (Building only)

    If your buildings suffer loss or damage we will cover the costs for architects, surveyors, and legal fees (up to 10 per cent of your buildings sum insured)

  • Loss of Rent cover (optional extra)

    If your building is uninhabitable, up to 12 months, up to the sum insured chosen.

  • Liability cover (optional extra)

    Choice of liability cover; $5 million, $10 million, $15 million or $20 million

Compare Landlords Insurance

Are you leaving some big ticket items in the property you’re renting out, like a fridge, couch or TV? Or is it completely empty? At CGU, you can tailor your landlord’s insurance to suit you – with options to add extra cover for liability, rent default or loss of rent.

Need help choosing the right Landlord Insurance?

We’re here to help you when you are choosing which landlord insurance policy is right for you. Our friendly CGU insurance specialists can answer all your questions, or you can turn to an insurance adviser for help in assessing your risk and working out the right cover for your needs.

We help you see it through

  • Experience counts

    With 160 years of insurance experience behind us, you can trust CGU to help you out when you need it most.

  • Simple claims process

    It’s easy to make a claim with CGU. Get started any time of the day or night. The rest of the process is quick, simple and hassle-free, too.

Landlords Insurance FAQs

  • How much is Landlords Insurance?

    There are many factors that influence your insurance premium – from your property’s location to the materials used to build it.

    The best way to get an answer is to complete our quick quote tool. It should only take three minutes. 

  • How do I make a Landlords Insurance claim?

    Making a claim with CGU is quick and hassle-free. You can lodge a claim any time of the day or night by calling 13 24 80. Then, you’ll be introduced to your very own claims specialist, who will support you throughout the claim.

  • Do I need Landlords Insurance?

    Your investment property is likely to be one of your biggest assets, so it’s important to protect it. Imagine if the property was damaged or destroyed by fire. Without insurance, your investment income would go up in flames, too.

    Also be aware that, if you’ve borrowed money to buy your investment property, your financial institution may say that you have to take out insurance on the property.

  • Is loss of rent covered?

    ‘Loss of rent’ is an optional extra you can add on to your policy. If you choose to add ‘loss of rent’, we will cover any loss of rental income that occurs following an event that makes the property uninhabitable.

    To see exactly what you’re covered for with ‘loss of rent’, please read the PDS.

  • Is the building covered with Landlords Insurance?

    As long as you take out the Buildings & Contents OR Buildings option for your landlord’s insurance then, yes, it’s covered. This means that if a storm, fire, landslide, bungled burglary or other event causes damage to your property, we’ll cover it.

    To see exactly what the building is covered for, please read the PDS.

Understanding your Landlords Insurance quote

Amount insured

Whether you’re insuring your building, your contents or both, you choose the sum insured. This amount does affect the premium but doubling the sum insured doesn't double the premium. This is because a total loss is unlikely.

Your excess

The higher your excess (which is the amount you pay when you make a claim), the lower your premium will be. This is entirely up to you.

How the house is built

Some building materials are more prone to damage or are more expensive to replace than others. A brick home, for example, will have a lower premium than a weatherboard home. Older homes cost more to insure, too.

Your location

Some areas are more prone to burglary or damage than others. CGU calculates the probability of an event occurring in your area and applies it to your premium.

It's the little things that count at CGU

  • Broad cover for peace of mind

    If something happens and it’s not on our short list of excluded mishaps, you know you’re covered. It’s that simple.

  • Certainty with water-related events

    Whether the water comes from above, below or from a burst pipe, we’ve got you covered. CGU covers storm, rainwater, flood and tsunami to give you extra peace of mind.

  • Rely on your rental income?

    We’ll pay your rent for you if the property becomes uninhabitable. You can rely on our rent for up to 12 months if you add ‘loss of rent’ to your policy.

Whenever you need us, we're right here

  • Emergency support

    If a wild storm causes damage, we can organise emergency repairs quick smart so your tenant gets a roof back over their head as quickly as possible.

  • Lodge claims 24/7

    Unfortunate events happen day and night. Simply call 13 24 80 at any time to kick off your claims process.

  • Your very own claims specialist

    In most cases, you’ll deal with one person from CGU. They’re here to answer your questions and support you throughout the claim.

CGU Flood Cover

CGU includes automatic flood cover as a policy feature on Home and Landlords Insurance. This ensures that all customers are covered for damage caused by water giving you peace of mind when water damage occurs. With an increase in recent years of severe weather events it protects our customers and enables CGU to offer quick flood claim resolutions.

CGU Flood Cover additional information

Need to make an insurance claim on your investment property?

Simply call 13 24 80 at any time to kick off your claims process.

Visit the Claims hub

Other Personal Insurance Products